Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The GUILT thing...

I'm not sure if it's strictly a bi-product of being a daughter to Greek parents (yes, I am Greek-Canadian). In my culture there seems to be one enormously popular way of getting your point across. It's called... Guilt.

I wonder? Is this something common to all cultures-ethnicities-beyond? Or am I over-sensitive to the multi bundles of guilt I receive daily from those that love me?

I adore the people closest to me, I absolutely adore them. I am also averse to them telling me what to do, how to live, what to think, what to say. I HATE authority that is oppressive and would all but collapse, literally dissolve in my skin if I lived in a dictatorship. As a child I knew the rules but preferred to NOT ask for permission but typically ask for an apology if I upset my parents... lol... I was a happy kid!

Breathe. Yes, back to guilt. Why do people use it? I find myself using it from time to time and then being disgusted with myself, like why use it if I hate it? Is that the only way we can get others to work with us? through making them feel like complete POO? There has to be a better way, to be literally effective and NOT toxic.

I've distanced myself from the friends that did it, I can't distance myself from the family I adore. Someone please tell me? What works? Tell me so I can tell a certain few people the better way to get me to do what they want... I'm not gonna lie, guilt is and always will be toxic.

No comments:

Post a Comment